Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Displayport to HDMI Adapter Review

Ok, so this will be my first review, of a somewhat useful item; a Displayport to HDMI adapter. The purchase link is below and at the bottom, with more (but less wordy) reviews if you're interested. Each category is scored out of 5, and I'll try to not be as biased as possible. 

Like it? Purchase Here


Appearance

Well, it looks like an Displayport to HDMI adapter all right. You'll have to bear with the semi-blurry photo, I have quite the shaky hands. My photos all say "Seagulls Everywhere" because, you know, some people like taking credit for everything that's not theirs.
On one end, it's obviously a Displayport male, it's got the rectangular/trapezoid shape, along with the clips to ensure it doesn't fall out in the middle of a movie or game or something.

On the other, it's obviously a HDMI female, it even came with a nice little cap for keeping out dust when you're not using it.
Overall, this adapter is really simplistic, thus achieving an appealing appearance for the end user.

Score- 5/5

Quality

The adapter cord is made out of, you guessed it, plastic. The DP (Displayport) and HDMI sections are gold or something that looks like gold plated. The cord itself makes a funny noise when you bend it, even a little, so that gives me reason to deduct a point.

Score- 4/5

Usefulness

The cord itself is pretty useful, I'll show you why.


So first, I bring out my trusty Lenovo Thinkpad T520 and attach the DP male onto it.
Then, I plug the HDMI cable normally used for my PS3 Slim into the HDMI Female. The HDMI cable does not go fully in, but once it's in there, it actually takes some force to pull it out.Then BAM! I can use my 27" monitor as a secondary display using only the HDMI cable and adapter. Did I mention that sound is also transferred? Great for audiosurf or beat hazard on a large monitor, even better if you use a home theater system to output sound.
Score- 4/5

Durability
The adapter feels durable, looks durable and probably is durable. While the DP hooks might wear out over time, considering how small they are, the rest of the adapter will probably last a long time. Each side of the adapter is covered with a strong plastic that wouldn't break even after I sat on it.

Score- 4/5

Idiot-proof
.
The item is idiot proof, to some extent. The DP male section clearly sports the Displayport logo, along with the word "Source". The HDMI female section on the other hand, has nothing.

Score- 4/5


Overall
This item is great for those with Thinkpads who just want to use a large monitor or use their HDTV for entertainment purposes, audiosurf is so much better on a 46" HDTV, am I right? The main flaw is that the HDMI cable is not fully inserted in when in use, and pulling the HDMI cable out is somewhat a pain, but that is easily solved by just keeping it in, since HDMI cable prices are so low anyways. The price is unbeatable compared to retail, my local computer store sells the exact same item for $21.99 (CAD). Shipping on the other hand, it took me 3 weeks to receive this item since it shipped from China, and Canada Post is slower than usual thanks to the recent strike, so I'll be deducting half a point for that.

Total Score- 21.5/25 or 82% 

Like it? Purchase Here

Like my reviews? Follow me, subscribe to the RSS feed, tell your friends, family, household pets, your neighbor, your neighbor's pets,  purchase the item with the link provided, or simply post a comment, that's cool too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment